Thursday, April 16, 2009

Movie Review: Fireproof


I recently had the opportunity of seeing the movie Fireproof. I liked it. I thought it was brilliant. Okay, I've got to come clean and admit that my lovely wife, Mitsouky, twisted my arm to watch it. I think everyone should see it because it has much to say about marriage that can be applied no matter how long you've been married or your race you can use the movie to help you think about your own marriage. The story is not just about how God can reconcile husband and wife back to each other but also how God reconciles people back to himself. The movie actually focuses on the husband's point of view but when I saw they related to one another I could see mistakes they were both making. It wasn't all him or all her cause their maritial problems. The movie points out a more fundamental fix: if God isn't part of your life and your marriage then you have set yourself up for failure. This was shown how the main character Caleb was only able to look past himself and love his wife only by loving God first. I don't want to give away all the story...you've got to see it. What I got most out of it was realizing that my role as husband does not depend on my wife and what she does. I should love her and value her no matter if she acts like she accepts it or not. I've heard that before but seeing really helped me understand it better.

My wife and I attended a seminar back in February called Laugh Your Way To A Better Marriage and it covers how to relate better to your spouse if you are both already Christians....really practical stuff. The movie does not give much in this area. The folks who made the movie did put together the Love Dare book that showed up in the movie. Here is a link to the main site for the web site.


Here is the movie's trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment