Monday, August 31, 2009

Preacher's Wife Warns of Adultery in the Pulpit


I have recently came across the following article talking about the problem in churches of clergy committing adultery with women in their congregation. The article points to the a book by Dr Betty Price called 'Warning to Ministers, Their Wives and Mistresses. I agree that it's a problem in many churches and God does not like it. It as a good article.

Preacher's Wife Warns of Adultery in the Pulpit

Of course such an article would list public examples of high profile clergy who have been caught with their pants down. This is where my problem came up. The article states that Jeremiah Wright cheated on his wife and it came out during the 2008 Presidential Election. I never heard that and I was paying attention. Wright was accused of having an affair with a white woman, Elizabeth Payne, in Dallas. She was a church worker for one of Wright's proteges. She was fired and her husband divorced her.

I'm not sure if this is true. It raises some flags for me.
1. Story does not seem to be mentioned before September 2008. And seem to have been used to try to discredit Wright and Obama.
2. It was not widely reported.
3. Friendship-West Baptist Church in Dallas Texas where Payne apparently worked is a black church (she is supposed to be white).
4. Her picture does not look real. It looks fake to me.



Either that or she's passing for white.

5. Her husband's, Fred Payne, statement: "People wouldn't be happy to know that my wife was sleeping with a black man," seems really loaded. If Jeremiah had have been white would they be more happy? Who would day that?
6. No other major national news organization seems to be carrying the story. One link I found had a link to a page on the Fox News site, but that link is now dead. Nothing on CNN.

I don't think the story is true. It just doesn't add up. I don't agree with Wright's Black Liberation Theology but why lie on the man?

Additional sources
Elizabeth Payne
Rev. Jeremiah Wright & Elizabeth Payne Sex Affair (Photos)
Chickens Roost on Reverend Wright's Penis
Elizabeth Payne Photo: Rev. Jeremiah Wright Sex Scandal Surfaces



Shared via AddThis

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment