Saturday, May 22, 2010

Jacobus Arminius: Arminius on Free Will

I found this article from the Brennon's Thoughts blog. It interesting how both Arminians and Calvinists can end up attacking one another - misrepresenting one another. I know I had Arminius all wrong. I thought Pelagianism was the logical endpoint of consistent Arminianism. But this is not true. Near as I can tell, Arminius never taught that. On the other hand I don't know any balanced Calvinists that would agree with what the article's author said:

Thus God is sovereign, but He does not, nor has He, determined anyone to behave in ungodliness merely by decree.

God is not accountable for the ungodliness of any of us. However He can and has stopped people from sinning. I've seen it in my life and I see it in scripture. Yet God does not stop everyone from sinning in all cases or circumstances. I cannot reconcile the fact that God is all powerful with the idea that my free will can undermine or change God's plan.

I think too much is made of the controversy. You can believe that you had a hand in choosing to live for Jesus on your own or God decreed your salvation before He said "Let There Be Light!" in Genesis 1:1. I'm not saying that it doesn't matter. I'm saying that it's not a salvation issue or a litmus text for orthodoxy. Before I started talking to Brennon and reading his blog, I thought that all Arminians denied that it took the power of God to draw people to Jesus and that people just made a decision. I'm happy to see that this is not the case. However there are those calling themselves Arminians who deny the need for grace.

I agree with Brennon that the article I linked to below is a good one and worthy for your consideration.

Jacobus Arminius: Arminius on Free Will

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment