Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Why We Need Minority Heroes in Superhero Comics - ComicsAlliance | Comics culture, news, humor, commentary, and reviews

I Read this great article on Comics Alliance and it summarizes my viewpoint almost perfectly. I've got to share some quotes from it.

Here's the thing: I love this stuff, and I want to share it with everybody. I realize tastes aren't universal, but when really good stories are held back from finding a mass, multicultural audience by the whitebread nature of the protagonists, it's depressing. You can't just change race of major icons, sure, but the world around them should still reflect the world we live in, because otherwise it's alienating. I don't want to read, and enjoy, comics that alienate other people for unnecessary reasons -- it's depressing, and it kills my enjoyment, too.

I don't want to read comics about superheroes -- or about the future -- or even about an imaginary, heroic alternate fantasy world where that's the case, particularly since it goes against everything I find so appealing about the genre. It's not that I need my heroes to be perfect. I just want the world they live in, and the people they are, to represent the reality outside my window, and the reality I've experienced throughout my life.


Why We Need Minority Heroes in Superhero Comics - ComicsAlliance | Comics culture, news, humor, commentary, and reviews

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment