Monday, August 16, 2010

Should France Payback Haiti's "Independence Debt?" - The Snob Blog - Danielle Belton's The Black Snob

I had already heard that Haiti was forced to pay France money to make up for it's loss of Haitian resources when Haiti took its independence. According to this article, there has been a suggestion for France to give the money back. I doubt that it will happen. Then again I was wrong about there ever being a black president of the United States. I hope I'm wrong about this too. My gut tells me you can put this with the "40-acres and a mule" promise my fore-parents never got. This brings up a more fundamental questions about the "debt" France collected from Haiti: Why did Haiti pay it? I mean they had already kicked the French off the island. What did France have on them that the Haitians decided it was less trouble to pay them rather than fight? I mean the United States didn't owe England money after the Revolutionary War. From Wikipedia:

In exchange for French recognition of Haiti as a sovereign republic, France demanded payment of 150 million francs (modern equivalent of $21 billion). - External debt of Haiti


I'm still left with the same question. Most countries at the time refused to recognize Haitian independence. There must be something more. Ahah! I should have known...basic intimidation and extortion. Classic.

Haiti’s legacy of debt began shortly after gaining
independence from France in 1804. In 1825, France, with
warships at the ready, demanded Haiti “compensate” France
for its loss of a slave colony. In exchange for French
recognition of Haiti as a sovereign republic, France
demanded payment of 150 million francs (modern
equivalent of $21 billion). Haiti was forced to choose
between paying this exorbitant sum, about five times Haiti's
annual export revenue, or facing a bloody military clash
with the French fleet. - Fact Sheet - Hatian Debt

Also remembering how in 1825, France was desperate. They just very recently failed to take over Europe and I am certain that they were out of funds. So what do they do? Extort money from Haiti for a "crime" 20 years after the fact. Yup, France should give the money back...with interest.

Should France Payback Haiti's "Independence Debt?" - The Snob Blog - Danielle Belton's The Black Snob

No comments:

Post a Comment