Monday, September 27, 2010

THE INTERSECTION | MADNESS & REALITY: Repression is not Morality: The Consequences of Sexual Suppression

I read this interesting article. It makes some good points but I think some mistakes have been made in that it puts the blame for sexual moral problems at sexual repression (which is true) but it makes the claim that its because of the Bible and the Qur'an and the great patristic monotheistic religions - Christianity, Islam, and Judaism and this I think is a mistake. The problem with sexual repression isn't ethic or moral standards. The problem is lack of them. I can't talk about Islam nor Judaism because I'm neither Muslim nor Jew. As a Christian, I blame the church for not teaching what God has said regarding sexuality. Sex was never meant to bring condemnation but joy and closeness. The only catch is that it has to be in a monogamous married relationship between a man and woman. Within these parameters we can truly be free and not repressed. If you want God's best you have to follow God and not your own way. We can trust Him.

THE INTERSECTION | MADNESS & REALITY: Repression is not Morality: The Consequences of Sexual Suppression
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I am the writer of the blog you reference above. A mutual friend pointed me here and I appreciate your input.

    Let me clarify: my position is that fundamentalism of ANY kind leads to the kinds of predatory behavior many religious fundamentalists exhibit -- which are diametrically opposed to their teachings.

    If you had followed one of the links I supplied in my artcle:

    http://thediamondmind.blogspot.com/2008/06/sexual-repression.html

    In that post, I give a brief outline of the history of sexual repression. I do find your position peculiar considering this history. In effect you're basically stating the MORE anti-sex fundamentalism would erase the issue of sexual dysfunction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well no, Eddie. I'm saying that the Bible is not anti-Sex. The church as been. That is wrong. Sex with-in marriage is not just condoned but demanded in the Bible. Sexual dysfunction is what you get when you go against God. I like your blog. I read it often. I agree with a lot of what you write.

    ReplyDelete