Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Black History Month & Comics: Two Great Tastes That Go Together [Op-Ed] - ComicsAlliance | Comics culture, news, humor, commentary, and reviews

David Brothers will be blogging all month on Black History concentrating on the the writers and artists who have positively had an impact on portraying African-Americans. I'm excited because he is a great writer and I am a fan of the medium. Brothers wrote:

Jack Kirby, the guy who almost every superhero comic owes its visual language to, created, co-created, or used a host of black characters. Black Panther, Vykin the Black, the Black Racer, the Falcon, Princess Zanda, Flippa Dippa, and Shilo Norman are all Kirby creations and cooler than cool. Kirby didn't have to create so many black characters, but he did. He made a point of it, as near as I can tell.

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/02/01/black-history-month-and-comics-two-great-tastes-that-go-together/#ixzz1ClmEb5e7


I agree. I've been reading Kirby's work on the Black Panther from the 1970's and I like it a lot. I can't wait to see more of Brother's articles.

Black History Month & Comics: Two Great Tastes That Go Together [Op-Ed] - ComicsAlliance | Comics culture, news, humor, commentary, and reviews
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment