Thursday, July 21, 2011

So-Called "Failed" Biblical Prophecies - Part 1

Mariano has pointed out to me these four points int which someone thinks that it illustrates 4 instances in which the prophets in the Bible were wrong. The four points are:

1. Ezekiel incorrectly predicted that Babylon would conquer Egypt.
2. Ezekiel incorrectly predicted King Nebuchadnezzar would destroy the city of Tyre (or Tyrus).
3. Micah incorrectly predicted the destruction of Jerusalem.
4. Jeremiah incorrectly predicted that the Babylonians would be exiled for 70 years, but it apparently only lasted 59 years.
My friend e-mailed me those four points, as well as his "source":
http://www.goatstar.org/failed-prophecies/#Ezekiel%20predicts%20Babylon%20would%20conquer%20Egypt (it's a semi-article that has very little actual info, so it's difficult to understand).


I decided to split this into 4 posts.This first post will be about Ezekiel and a prophecy given that Egypt would be conquered by Babylon. Ezekiel 29: 10-12 and 30:10-11 are quoted using the NRSV translation. In the NIV the passages read:

8 “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will bring a sword against you and kill both man and beast. 9 Egypt will become a desolate wasteland. Then they will know that I am the LORD.
   “‘Because you said, “The Nile is mine; I made it,” 10 therefore I am against you and against your streams, and I will make the land of Egypt a ruin and a desolate waste from Migdol to Aswan, as far as the border of Cush. 11 The foot of neither man nor beast will pass through it; no one will live there for forty years. 12 I will make the land of Egypt desolate among devastated lands, and her cities will lie desolate forty years among ruined cities. And I will disperse the Egyptians among the nations and scatter them through the countries.- Ezekiel 29:8-12

10 “‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says:    “‘I will put an end to the hordes of Egypt
   by the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon.
11 He and his army—the most ruthless of nations—
   will be brought in to destroy the land.
They will draw their swords against Egypt
   and fill the land with the slain.  Ezekiel 30:10-11
 What does history say? Did Nebuchadnezzar conquer Egypt? The link given above says "No" but it makes no mentions of cuneiform inscriptions that support the Bible. I actually found somel links that help flesh out those early years of Nebuchadnezzar's reign.I don't want to just spit out what the links already say. So here they are.

Did Nebuchadnezzar conquer Egypt?


Ezekiel Timeline



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment