Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Parting Shot: A 7-Year-Old Girl Who Loves 'Teen Titans' Reacts Sadly to the New Starfire - ComicsAlliance | Comic book culture, news, humor, commentary, and reviews

A few of my favorite blogs have been in uproar lately regarding general drift DC Comics' female characters have been portrayed in their re-launched titles. To say it's been several steps taken backwards for how women have been portrayed in comics is an understatement especially in Catwoman #1 and Red Hood and the Outlaws #1. I think that it this article in Comics Alliance shows a major problem: how these things affect young girls. I have a young daughter who loves superheroes and I don't want her to read these. She loved Teen Titans that animated series and she like Catwoman. This article says in part:

This response comic from Shortpacked really hit the nail on the head about how nu-Starfire is in particular a betrayal of all the (mainstream!) fans of the Teen Titans cartoon. I got into comics by watching the X-Men cartoon on Fox as a little kid, so I know how great animated shows can be for bringing in new readers and especially girls, which is why this piece at io9 talking to a 7-year-old Teen Titans fan about how Starfire was no longer a hero to her was so heartbreaking:
Mom: "Is this new Starfire someone you'd want to be when you grow up?"
Daughter: *she gets uncomfortable again*"Not really. I mean, grown ups can wear what they want, but...she's not doing anything but wearing a tiny bikini to get attention."
Mom: "So, you know I'm going to put this on my blog right? (she nods) Is there anything else you want to say?"
Daughter: "I want her to be a hero, fighting things and be strong and helping people."
Mom: "Why's that?"
Daughter: "Because she's what inspires me to be good."

I agree with the little girl!!!

Parting Shot: A 7-Year-Old Girl Who Loves 'Teen Titans' Reacts Sadly to the New Starfire - ComicsAlliance | Comic book culture, news, humor, commentary, and reviews
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment