Thursday, July 29, 2010

Anne Rice: "I quit being a Christian" - The Deacon's Bench

I found the following news today:
She [Anne Rice] made the announcement on Facebook: "I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of ... Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen."

Rice wrote "Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession," a memoir about her own conversion to Christianity--making the post a bit more surprising.

In another post, Rice also admitted, "I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being 'Christian' or to being part of Christianity."

Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/deaconsbench/2010/07/anne-rice-i-quit-being-a-christian.html#ixzz0v6nfGt3U

I'm not surprise by this statement at all because of how Anne Rice defines "Christianity". Who says Christianity means you have to be anti-gay, anti-feminist, anti-artificial birth control, anti-Democrat, anti-secular humanism, anti-science, or anti-life. If she wants to argue that a Catholic must believe those things that's another thing. You can't use the Bible to substantiate these - with the way I think she is using those terms. For example believing that disagreeing with the the gay lifestyle does not mean hating homosexuals. The same with all of these. The Bible does not tell us to be anti-science or any of these things. Guess we need to pray for her.


Anne Rice: "I quit being a Christian" - The Deacon's Bench
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment