Monday, August 25, 2008

Biblical Basics - Introduction


I am intending to write a series of post that discuss biblical topics. Most of it will be very basic and will do nothing to challenge orthodox Christian theology. All my posts will be attempts to read only out of the Bible what was intended to be there and not read into it my own biases and traditions. I use the word "attempts" because I know how hard it is to do that and I welcome feedback and challenges. These are going to be things that I desire to get the correct understanding of I know that i will always have more to learn and to grow into yet. I don't have it all now and I will never have it completely down until I see Christ. Paul said:

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
1st Corinthians 13:8-12


If the apostle Paul, handpicked by God to take the Gospel all over the Roman world , understood that he did not have the complete picture, makes you wonder why any of us have such audacity to think we do. I pray daily not to fall into that. Because of the grace of God, and only the grace of God, I have three college degrees in engineering and technology so I am constantly examining my attitude towards other people. The following scripture helps with that. It almost seems written for me.

Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a "fool" so that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness."
1st Corinthians 3:18,19


One thing about the Bible is that for every scripture that you can use to condemn others there are several that get you too. To add emphasis, Paul uses the weight of the Old Testament quoting Job 5:31 in verse 19. Reminding others and informing some that God cannot be outsmarted, tricked, or manipulated. I intend to follow his lead the best I can as I write, footnoting and referencing whenever I can. I want to use science, history, philosophy, archeology, anthropology, and art to talk about theology and Bible doctrine. When I make a mistake, or when clarification is needed, please comment and let me know. Also if you have some ideas for articles that I can research with you on, please also let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment