Saturday, August 16, 2008

Purpose Driven Critique


My pastor recently reminded me that all books that we read must be carefully scrutinized and considered in light of scripture. With the Saddleback church being back in the news because of the Obama and McCain event happening today at that location, he reminded me that we need to view Rick Warren's (his picture is on the right) book Purpose Driven Life with much more discernment than I know I did in the past. It reminded me of 16 page article I saw many months ago on the Berean Call website ran by Dave Hunt and T.A. McMahon . I first came across that ministry because of the work of James White and his ministry, Alpha and Omega Ministries. They are almost constantly at odds, especially on Calvinism and Armenism (much more on that later). I find a lot of problems with Dave Hunt and some of the things he teaches but I he's been around so long and has a platform so he cannot be safely ignored. I really, really liked Purpose Driven Life and although I read through it two or three times nothing really awful jumped out at me. McMahon did write that 16 page critique I mentioned earlier and I felt like it was more written out of jealousy or nit-picking, but I will set aside that judgement and re-read it....maybe he had some valid theological gripes. I'll provide a more thorough analysis later. Read the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment