Friday, June 12, 2009

Is Israel Being Oversensitive?


I just heard that based on a picture taken in the Oval Office of Obama talking on the phone with the Israeli Prime Minister that people in Israel are angry. They feel insulted by the soles of Obama's shoes being prominent in the foreground. Re-calling that in the Middle East, to the Arabic Mindset, showing the soles of your shoes to someone is a huge, disrespecting insult.

I'm amazed that Jews would make this connection. I mean:
1. These are Jews, not Arabs complaining.
2. Given that Obama is not an Arab I'm certain he did not think he was insulting anyone propping his feet on his desk - I mean it is his desk!

The article I read about this in pointed out that the sensitivity could be coming from the tensions in the Middle East now and with the way Obama so glowing talked of Islam in his recent speech in Cairo last week I'm sure it makes those who recognize that Fundamentalist Muslims are never going to play nice with others very nervous. It's those people who have their finger on buttons to attack Israel they are concerned about - not the the Muslims President Obama addresses in Cairo. I also think that if Obama had a more "western" name (ie "White") they wouldn't have went there.

No comments:

Post a Comment