Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Responding to Atheism vis Twitter part 3 - Hitchens/Richards Debate


Christopher HitchensImage via Wikipedia

I decided to tackle number 6 from my Responding to Atheism vis Twitter post.

6. The universe is eternal, therefore it does not need a creator.


I've already posted the entire debate on my blog but here is a snippet of the debate where Hitchens and Richards discuss the question "Who made God?"





This point often has been brought up to me by atheists. I answer it just Like Richards does. It's irrational to believe that the universe is eternal. We have nothing that backs that up. In fact the evidence points to the universe being finite. I have yet hear a single piece of evidence pointing to the eternality of the universe. That which begins to exist must have a cause. No one can disputes this. When people like Hitchens try to apply the argument to God we have a problem. When you do that, you are no longer arguing against the God of the Bible. The Bible posits an eternal God with no beginning or end. The very name of God, given to Moses at the burning bush tells us a great deal about God. The Hebrew name YHWH tells us that God is sellf-sustaining, requires nothing to exist. He is - always was. is, and will be.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment