Friday, October 9, 2009

Obama Won the What? -- Politics Daily


I dropped my daughter off at daycare this morning and I was informed that Barack Obama has been awarded the 2009 Nobel Prize  for Peace.  I almost fell out. I'm in shock.  My only question: Why?  Well the Oslo group that chose him saying:

The citation issued this morning said that the committee chose Obama "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." It went on to say, "Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future."

Here is the announcement:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDygJXC4OFM


I'm amazed because while I disagree that it makes sense to attack Obama for not accomplishing much  - it's only been 10 months - I don't think that getting the peace prize makes sense at this time. Everyone else who has earned the award has profoundly changed the world. I'm not saying that Obama will not change anything,  only he needs time and the support of others to do it. Fortunately, Obama seems as shocked as anyone. He said:

"I am both surprised and deeply humbled,'' he went on, adding, "Let me be clear: I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people of all nations. To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace. But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women and all Americans want to build, a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents. And I know that throughout history, the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievements; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes, and this is why I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century.''

I think we have a problem. The world looks to America to leadership. A lot of people are putting a  lot of confidence in Obama and have expressed profound disappointment with the previous administration. It almost seems like Obama is getting the award for not being like George W. Bush,.

Here is Obama's speech concerning the award.





The thing that amazes me the most is that the President's critics have been accusing him of failure for the past week. They are still suggesting that he doesn't deserve the award and they took pleasure when the Olympics was awarded to Brazil instead of Chicago. It's personal. They don't like him. It's got to grate them that they denounced him so thoroughly and yet he gets a world honor! I'm glad for that. Honoring the President honors our nation. I'm unwilling to say that Obama does not deserve it. He has given people all over the world hope.  I just did not know or see how much faith people all over the world is putting into Obama. The problem is we need to put that faith in Jesus and in ourselves and certainly not in one man.

Here is a video of what some pundits are saying about it.








Obama Won the What? -- Politics Daily
President Obama Wins Nobel Prize (WTF!)

Shared via AddThis
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. don't worry. in a recent poll, 19% of conservatives in NJ said they thought Obama was the antichrist (!)

    the number grows to 30% who could not say he wasn't the anti-christ.

    radical right-wingers will just use this as more 'evidence' that he's not a 'real american' or some other such nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a point. I think accusing him of not being a real American is really silly.

    ReplyDelete