Monday, January 4, 2010

Christian Apologetics - Life and Doctrine: Jewish / Judaism : the Psalm 22 Controversy, part 1 of 4


Mariano is starting another series about how Judaism looks at a particular passage contrasted with how Christians look at it. This time he considers Psalm 22. I was aware that while I, as a Christian, would say that it is a messianic prophecy of the crucifixion of Christ from about 1000 years before Jesus was crucified and long before crucifixion was invented. When Jesus was on the cross He said

About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34

The Christian interpretation is that He was quoting Psalm 22:1 and was pointing out that at that moment the whole of Psalm 22 was being fulfilled. In light of this, I always wondered how do Jews who reject Jesus' messiahship answer this. Mariano has begun a series to answer this very question! Thanks, Mariano.

Christian Apologetics - Life and Doctrine: Jewish / Judaism : the Psalm 22 Controversy, part 1 of 4
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment