Friday, March 5, 2010

Apologetics 315: Dinesh D'Souza vs. John Loftus Debate MP3 Audio

I got this debate from Apologetics 315. From the introduction of John Loftus I expected a lot more. He didn't offer anything new. No new argument. Nothing - just like what God used to create all of reality. I love to see Dinesh D'Souza argue for God and Christianity. He is brilliant. While I understand the need for his apologetic in the public square, I prefer an apologetic based on the Bible being true. This debate is the one where I think I've seen D'Souza defend the Bible because Lofus really did attack it. He made some claims and thoughts that D'Souza did not have time to address. The thing about Loftus that I found most interesting is that it says that he was once a student of William Lane Craig and at times it seems that Loftus was debating him not D'Souza. My favorite point that D'Souza made was when he compared the historical evidence for Socrates's life and teaching and showed how what we really know about him is less than what we know about Jesus if we apply the same criteria to Socrates. Yet I have not ever heard a qualified historian argue that Socrates never existed. I disagreed with many of the facts that Loftus asserted. They weren't right. Neither were his conclusions correct. For example, as far as I can tell everyone agrees that the universe began as a singularity - the debate is the nature of that singularity and how it got there. Also Loftus proof that Jesus did not claim to be God is the exact opposite of what Jesus claimed. Look at  Matthew 19: 16-17.

16Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
 17"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments." (NIV)

16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
 17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. (KJV)

Loftus tried to use this to argue to say that Jesus was saying that no one is good but God and that he wasn't claiming to be God. D'Souza didn't have time to address this, so I will, because I can't stand this objection because it is stupid.. Jesus was not claiming that he was not good. This is what you would have to assume to get Loftus' understanding. No, Jesus is calling attention to all what the Young man has said in calling him good. If no one is good but God, and Jesus is good, then that means Jesus is God.  QED!


On Wednesday, Dr. James White was on a radio program discussing the Trinity, a Jewish woman called in and offered this very same scripture as a rebuttal to the Trinity. Listen to how White  handled it.

On Apologetics 315, you can find the audio link to the debate and below is a playlist from YouTube.





Apologetics 315: Dinesh D'Souza vs. John Loftus Debate MP3 Audio

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment