Thursday, March 25, 2010

Debunking Christianity: What is the Difference Between an Education and Indoctrination?


I recently read a post by John Loftus on his blog about the differences between being educated and being indoctrinated. I find that I agree completely with his viewpoint. Knew I'd find something on his blog worth supporting.

As I have said before, if a Christian reads through my book and his faith is strengthened then it did him no harm. In fact, it did him good. If however, reading through it destroys his faith, then that faith was not worth having in the first place.

Become educated. If all you ever do is read Christian apologetics books in response to the arguments of atheists like me, then you are not being educated. Here's an example of what I mean. Look at my friend Dr. Norman Geisler's review of my book (the former self-published edition, Why I Rejected Christianity), and what I wrote about his review. There is no comparison between reading his review of my book and reading it yourself, as I've said before.

Again, become educated, not indoctrinated.


I find the post interesting because on one hand, Loftus argues that its wrong to present information from one side and not present the truth that many intelligent people interpret the information differently and why they see it that way, yet many atheist refuse to even discuss intelligent design and think that it should never be taught in our schools. By Loftus' and my own definition of indoctrination - Macro Evolution is not being taught to our students, they are being indoctrinated. To be fair to Loftus, I don't know if he denies ID should be taught along side macro evolution.in the classroom, but I know a lot of atheist don't think it should be. Who is indoctrinating whom?

Debunking Christianity: What is the Difference Between an Education and Indoctrination?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. In the recent issue of Newsweek, Sharon Begley talks about how our culture (due mainly to the American Revolution's rejection of political authority and the Protestant Reformation's rejection of spiritual authority) has a tendency to simply not listen to people who say things with which they disagree. Their Own Worst Enemies:Why scientists are losing the PR wars. Thus people tend to reject science, and scientists tend to reject people who reject them.

    ReplyDelete