Sunday, April 25, 2010

Do Christians Oppose Universal Health Care Because They Think People are Lazy? | Athanatos Christian Apologetics Ministry

I read a real good article about why Christians are against Universal Health Care. The blogger makes a lot of good points. The best one I thought was:
Perhaps we should raise a new objection to universal health care: it isn’t that the people receiving the care are lazy, it’s that the tender-hearted ‘truly compassionate’ people are lazy… they want to have people helped, but they aren’t willing to do it themselves unless the government tells them to do it or if they can get everyone else forced to ‘help’ in the same way.
I for one do not believe that it is any ‘help’ to make an entire nation wards of the state.
I agree. However I don't think universalizing health care would make people "wards of the state". Something must be done because we have hard-working people who can't afford health care and some people are dying because of that. As a Christian I have a huge problem with the idea that the only people who can't afford health care are lazy or don't deserve it. I don't think the blogger is saying that people don't deserve health coverage. However in all the talk, I haven't heard another alternative to the government getting involved in regulating health care and everyone getting the coverage they need. So far the current system is not working. I actually know people who can't afford health coverage and are working hard to support themselves and their families. What about them?

Do Christians Oppose Universal Health Care Because They Think People are Lazy? | Athanatos Christian Apologetics Ministry
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment