Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Black Snob Blog: Congress Apologizes For Slavery: So What? Now What


Last week, my wife told me that she heard that congress had officially apologized for slavery and the Jim Crow laws. I fell out. I never thought that such an apology would ever happen. Many folks are saying that it's pointless. I disagree. One reason why America has never began to get past slavery is because the government never officially apologized. In my opinion I think that there does need to be follow-up. Giving us money - paying for the pain and suffering of our ancestors is a slap in the face. What we need is something more concrete. For example, our ancestors, like my maternal grandmother's grandfather, wanted to learn how to read and were denied an education and a better way to make up for that is to give our children free college education. If America is truly sorry, then it should do more than just say, but do actions that will truly offset some of the damages caused by the legacy of slavery. Here is a great article from the Black Snob blog:

The Black Snob Blog: Congress Apologizes For Slavery: So What? Now What?





I have also found some great information from the following websites
Congress Apologizes for Slavery, Jim Crow
U.S. Congress apologizes for slavery

Addtionally NPR posted the following audio. Take a listen.

Rep. Steve Cohen, a Democrat from Tennessee, drafted the resolution. Cohen explains the apology's long journey for Congressional approval and the significance of its timing.



20080730_tmm_03.mp...

No comments:

Post a Comment