Thursday, June 9, 2011

Absurdity of Christianity


I keep finding that many atheists miss it on Christianity. Often when they try to articulate what they object to in the Bible, they talk about a god that is not in the Bible.  If their god was who we worship as Christian I'd reject that god too. But that isn't the God described and active in Scripture or my life. Let's take the above comic strip for an example. The following is said about God and at what the Bible says.

1. Jesus and God the Father are conflated into a single person.

Scripture makes it clear that Jesus is distinct from the Father


16 But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. 17 In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true. 18 I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me.” - John 8:16-18
 

2. Jesus died to change a law that He himself made.

Jesus died to satisfy the law not change it. He came to be our substitute so we don't have to die for our sins.

1My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
 2And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.- 1 John 2:1-2
 1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 23 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.- Hebrews 12:1-3 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.


3. God made Himself

Who said that God came into existence? He was, is, and is to come - eternal.

The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life. - Revelations 22:17


But the LORD is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King. When he is angry, the earth trembles; the nations cannot endure his wrath. - Jeremiah 10:10


18 For this is what the LORD says—
he who created the heavens,
   he is God;
he who fashioned and made the earth,
   he founded it;
he did not create it to be empty,
   but formed it to be inhabited—
he says:
“I am the LORD,
   and there is no other.
19 I have not spoken in secret,
   from somewhere in a land of darkness;
I have not said to Jacob’s descendants,
   ‘Seek me in vain.’
I, the LORD, speak the truth;
   I declare what is right. - Iaiaah 45:18,19

4. "Goodness" means that God would not send anyone to Hell.

What about Justice? "Love" and "Kindness" are only part of who God is. There is also Justice. Sin must be atoned for. Because of his character, the scales have to be balanced. Our sin are so horrible that it can only be balanced by our paying for them or God himself paying for them in the person of Jesus Christ. Take your pick. I'm not righteous enough to stand before the Holy God on my own. If you trust Jesus, God will declare you not guilty because Jesus already paid your tab. You can't pay it.

Recent image by tommy_n_chucky on Photobucket
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment