Monday, August 31, 2009

Disney Buys Marvel Comics


Marvel's logo, circa 1990s.Image via Wikipedia


So far the biggest news that I heard today is the Disney is going to buy Marvel Comics in a deal that will cost $4 Billion. Shock! Awe!

I'm not sure if this going to be good or not. I should have seen it coming considering that almost every single animated series based

Image representing The Walt Disney Company as ...Image via CrunchBase

on Marvel Characters can now be seen on Disney XD (Toon Disney). Its been said that Disney wants to maximize its appeal to the 18-35 year-old male demographic. This should do it. I'm not concerned that Disney will "water-down" Marvel. It's important to remember that Disney owns Pixar, ABC, and Miramax and they managed to not mess them up. This could turn out to be good. Of course it also means that Disney will be in even more direct competition with Time-Warner that owns DC Comics.

Of course if the government says "no" this won't happen. I think that if such a merger will cause the lost of single job it should not go through.

Sources
Disney Buys Marvel: What The–?!
Disney Buying Marvel
Disney to Acquire Marvel Entertainment
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. This one was quite a shocker for me. I didn't see Disney buying Marvel anytime soon. I agree with you though. Given the high quality of movies still being churned out by Pixar, I think they'll do a good job with Marvel. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete