Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Christopher Hitchens Undergoing Chemotherapy for Esophogeal Cancer

I was really looking forward to the debate between James White and Christopher Hitchens on August 30, 201. Today, Hitchens announce that he is undergoing chemotherapy to fight a deadly cancer he is suffering from. How does James White respond?


I just learned that Christopher Hitchens has announced he is undergoing chemotherapy for esophogeal cancer. Here is his announcement. I fully expect this to lead to the cancellation of our August 30th debate, though I do not yet have that official word.

I have listened to many, many hours of Christopher Hitchens speaking. I've read his attacks upon my faith, listened to him blaspheme in public, etc. And yet I cannot help but like the man personally, who has such a quick sense of humor and a streak of honesty that I know comes straight from common grace. He has surprised me many times, showing an insight into the errors of his evidentialist Christian opponents that many others lack. Let's pray for Mr. Hitchens that God will use this providence to bring to his mind the many, many times he has heard the truth. His detestation of the Christian faith runs very deep, but as we all know, God is glorified when God-haters are turned into God-lovers. Should God mercifully extend his life, I hope we will get a chance to meet. May God be pleased to reveal to him the Lord of Glory, and turn his heart from rebellion to realize that the one thing he rails against most, that of submission to one's Creator, is the greatest freedom the creature can know.

What???? Could this be gentleness? Humility? Respect??!! Loving? Yup. It is. I'm confused by all the people who condemn Dr. White. I mean this is how I see he always acts. It's the way we should all act even when a person disagrees with us. I will be joining Dr. White in prayer for Mr. Hitchens. It is the right thing to do and I hope God will be giving him mercy.

Christopher Hitchens Undergoing Chemotherapy for Esophogeal Cancer
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    RE: What???? Could this be gentleness? Humility? Respect??!! Loving? Yup. It is.

    I think that if you re-read Dr. White's statement, you will find that he nowhere advocates praying for Hitchens' survival, only for his conversion.
    I think that a truly loving and gentle and humble person would have included that particular sentiment (even if Hitchens remained a crotchety old atheist). ;-)
    Sincerely,
    Ken Schei
    Founder: Atheists for Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenneth, do you really think that White will be mad if God heals Hitchens yet Hitchens does not convert? I don't think so. No Christian would not want Hitchens to recover. I understood that White was saying that we need to pray for his survival and conversion. Think of the awesome witness Hitchens would be if God saved him. He'd be like Apostle Paul.

    ReplyDelete