Friday, August 7, 2009

Bart Ehrman Lecturing on "Misquoting Jesus"


I've had an opportunity to listen to a debate by Bart Erhman on his book, Misquoting Jesus delivered at Stanford. I realized that although I disagree with his conclusions there are somethings
I can learn from him. Rather than spend my time in this post refuting him (Jame White and William Lane Craig already handled him, i want to focus on something he said. He said that Jesus did not use it. Also when the early church and Jewish scholars used the scriptures this was the translation they were using. You can even tell most often it is this translation that is quoted from in the New Testament. I think that even if Jesus did not speak Greek He could read it. This point knock's Ehrman's argument about Jesus not actually saying the words in John 3 because you can't render them in Aramaic. Maybe Jesus and Nicademus carried on the conversation in Greek. We don't know. Although Ehrman got that part wrong, i learned that I can't just ignore everything he says because the part about Niocademus confusing Jesus' admonition to be "Born from above" with the idea of entering his mother's womb a second time make a lot of sense when you understand that the Greek could be understood either way given the context.


BartEhrmanNTCritic...


Here is the video!



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. I rather enjoyed reading Misquoting Jesus. A non-Christian friend of mine recommended it to me, and while I (quite reasonably) expected to find it offensive, it turned out to be a pleasant read. Ehrman wasn't real pushy with his conclusions, but merely let his scholarship speak for itself. I often wish more people who wrote about theology from both sides would be as approachable as Ehrman was in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben Witherington's review of the book seems pretty spot-on. Ehrman gives a great lay introduction to the concepts of textual criticism, and then goes on to show some interesting examples of questionable passages, which he unfortunately uses to suggest questionable conclusions.

    ReplyDelete