Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Trouser-wearing woman spared lashes


About a month ago, I posted the story of Lubna Ahmed al-Hussein who was arrested in Sudan and faced the possibility of being lashed 40 times for wearing pants in public! This story sent me into a state of shock. I could believe sharia laws in Sudan could be that harsh. Lubna Ahmed al-Hussein is a brave woman. I admire her stand and her conviction. I'm not sure if I would have been so quick to make waves had I been her. Given that she was arrested with 18 other women at the same time and few of them have stood with her shows how committed she is. I've recently heard today (er Monday) that she will be spared being whipped and she would instead be fined $200. However, Lubna refuses to pay the fine, will appeal and go to jail if she has to. As I had said: She's brave. It takes people like her if anything is going to change. On top of that it's got me wondering. I mean most people were more horrified by the prospect of her getting whipped than by the fact that sharia laws in Islam are so much stricter on women than on men.





VIDEO: Trouser-wearing woman spared lashes

Sudan woman spared whipping for wearing trousers


Journalist Lubna Ahmed al-Hussein fined for wearing pants



'Tight pants' woman jailed for not paying fine


Shared via AddThis

No comments:

Post a Comment